Healthy gums are the building blocks of achieving a healthy smile. When you neglect your gum health, you may increase your risk of developing periodontal disease. Periodontal disease, or gum disease, is a progressive infection that attacks the gum tissue, bone structure, and the teeth.
Gum disease is caused by the bacteria in plaque that builds up and hardens on the teeth, Once the bacteria reaches the gum line, the infection begins to break down the gum tissue. Patients with gum disease may notice a wide range of symptoms.
Common Symptoms of Gum Disease:
- Bleeding gums
- Red or swollen gums
- Tooth sensitivity
- Halitosis (persistent bad breath)
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Tooth loss
- Deep pockets forming around the teeth
- Receding Gums
The good news is that gum disease is preventable. Dr. Nadder Hassan and our team at Massassa Smiles are dedicated to helping each of our patients achieve a healthier smile. If you notice any signs of symptoms of gum disease, visit our Manassas, VA dental office. To schedule an appointment, call (703) 335-1020 or feel free to schedule an appointment online.
Improve Your Gum Health
Improving your gum health just requires a few simple steps. Dr. Hassan can work with you to develop a more detailed plan, but in the meantime, patients should try to incorporate these healthy habits into their oral health routine.
- Brush your teeth at least twice for a day. Brushing your teeth helps to keep the breath fresh, clean the tongue, minimize plaque buildup, and remove debris. Brushing yo teeth is an important part of your oral hygiene routine, and it can help keep your gums in good health.
- Don’t forget to floss your teeth. Most patients don’t floss regularly. Flossing on a daily basis helps remove debris from between the teeth. Oral health issues like tooth decay and cavities can form between the teeth, so it is important that you take the proper steps to keep that area clean.
- Vist Manassas Smiles at least twice a year. In most cases, Dr. Hassan that patients visit our Manassas, VA dental office at least twice a year for their preventive care exam. During the preventive care exam, Dr. Hassan can thoroughly examine the teeth, mouth, and gums for any signs of gum disease. During the preventive care examine, patients will also receive a professional tooth cleaning to remove plaque and tartar build-up that normal brushing and flossing can not remove.