Visiting your Manassas dentist is essential to preserve your smile. In fact, many patients wait until they have a severe dental issue to visit their dentist. But did you know that emergent dental issues can be avoided by visiting your Manassas dentist regularly? Among these dental issues are sudden missing teeth.
Learn why you should replace your missing teeth below and contact our Manassas dentist today!
What Causes Missing Teeth?
Patients can lose a tooth due to a variety of reasons. More often than not, teeth can be affected by the following ways.
- Old age
- An injury to the face, jawbone, or teeth
- Some dental conditions such as misalignment or overcrowding
- Dental diseases that damage and eventually lead to the tooth weakening and falling out. The common conditions are severe dental decay, gum disease, and tooth infections.
Missing teeth can cause the following:
- Bleeding from the gums or point of attachment of the tooth
- Pain at the location of the missing tooth
- Difficulty with speaking clearly
- Difficulty with chewing on the affected area
Why You Should Replace Missing Teeth
- Helps regain normal facial contour, shape, and appearance- studies show that a missing tooth or teeth significantly affect the shape and appearance of an individual’s facial features. Teeth help in maintaining stability and act as a point of attachment to many facial structures. Replacing your teeth goes a long way in helping you regain your usual facial features
- Improves speech- missing tooth or teeth significantly impaired one’s speech, as teeth play an important role when talking. People with missing teeth usually have low self-esteem issues because of their impaired speech. Replacing your missing teeth improves your speech significantly
- Regain normal chewing and eating- having a missing tooth causes a lot of pain and discomfort while eating. Chewing hard food is usually almost impossible in people with missing teeth. Replacing the missing teeth helps restore normal teeth function, with the key being in chewing and eating
- Regain healthy teeth appearance- most of the teeth replacement devices have a resemblance in colour, shape and size of the natural tooth. Replacing the missing tooth, therefore, creates an impression of the natural tooth in almost all aspects
- Improves your smile- smiling is significantly impaired in instances of missing teeth. People with missing teeth shy off from flashing their smiles in front of others, significantly affecting their self-esteem and confidence. Replacing that missing tooth acts as a boost to your self-confidence, as you can smile proudly without fear
Tooth Replacement Methods
There are several teeth replacement treatment options devised by the dentist. The typical teeth replacement devices include;
- Dentures are among the most used method of teeth replacement. Dentures can either be partial or complete. The type of denture depends on whether you are missing several teeth or a full set of teeth is missing. They are made of several materials that have the color, appearance, shape, and size of the natural teeth. Some of the material includes plastic, resin, or porcelain.
- Dental bridges are used to bridge the gap between teeth, in instances of missing teeth, or significant gaps in between the teeth. The dental prosthetic device is connected to adjacent teeth or dental structures and has the appearance of the natural tooth. The dental bridge usually consists of two or more crowns attached to abutment teeth.
- Dental implants are biocompatible screws inserted deep into the jawbone, and over time, permanently fuse to the bone. The dental implants act as an anchor point to the attachment of other dental prosthetic devices that include dental crowns, bridges, and dentures.
It is essential to maintain and observe high levels of dental care to avoid cases of missing teeth. Once you get a replacement to the missing teeth, it is equally essential that you take good care of the device. Your Manassas dentist will offer guidance on how to properly care for your new smile.
Contact Our Manassas Dentist
Manassas Smiles offers a variety of dental services to assist patients of all ages. We highly recommend scheduling a consultation to learn how best to improve your smile. New and existing patients may reach our Manassas dentist at (703) 335-1020 or schedule an appointment online here. We look forward to meeting you!