Local Manassas Dentists | You may need dentures if you have lost your teeth because of tooth decay or gum disease. Your new dentures will be taking the place of missing teeth.
Manassas dentists always recommend properly brushing and cleaning them at least twice daily. You will also want to remove plaque and stains from your dentures.
What are dentures?
Dentures are removable dental appliances that help to replace your missing teeth so that you can chew and speak more effectively. In fact, dentures can also enhance your smile and appearance when compared to having no teeth at all.
The Manassas dentists who specialize in teeth replacement are known as prosthodontists. They will customize your set for the best fit and natural-looking results.
Who needs dentures?
You may need dentures as a tooth replacement option because of:
- Tooth decay
- Facial trauma
- Periodontal disease, commonly known as gum disease
Types of Dentures
Your dentist or prosthodontist can recommend the best type of denture, depending upon the number of missing teeth. Some denture types include the following:
- Complete: This type rests upon the gums, replacing an entire row of teeth.
- Partial: Dentures that are replacing one or more missing teeth.
- Fixed partial: Also known as bridges, fixed partials are attached permanently to nearby teeth. Only a dental professional can remove this type of denture.
How do I properly care for my dentures?
You will be cleaning your dentures daily, just like your natural teeth. They must be removed from your mouth for cleaning in most cases. To properly care for and clean them, you should:
- Care for your gums and teeth. Be sure that you are brushing your gums, roof of your mouth, and tongue, along with any remaining teeth. Use a gentle tooth brush.
- Using a sink filled with water or a towel on your bathroom counter, clean your dentures. This helps prevent them from breaking if you should accidentally drop them.
- Place your denture cleaning solution or a container of cool water. You don’t want them drying out, since this could alter their shape.
- If you use cleaning solution, be sure to rinse it away.
What are some other ways that I can care for my dentures?
Manassas dentists state that properly maintained, you can expect your dentures to last up to seven years. They may need to be refitted occasionally. Make sure your dentures last by:
- Removing them following every meal or snack and rinsing them off.
- Avoid placing them in hot water that may warp them.
- Instead, place them in cool, clean water.