Who wants to miss out on pictures because they are embarrassed about how their teeth look? Teeth that appear yellow and dull can have a huge impact on self-confidence. Discoloration in the smile lines and teeth can be extremely embarrassing and uncomfortable.
Fortunately, there are several ways you can treat discolored teeth. Here we will go over the reasons for tooth discoloration and how to treat it.
Common Reasons Why Teeth Become Discolored
There are many reasons why teeth become discolored. Some of the most common causes include:
- Age: As you age, your teeth will naturally darken. This is because of the natural breakdown of enamel, which is the white outer coating of your teeth. As this layer breaks down, it leaves a darker layer underneath called dentin.
- Tobacco Use: Tobacco use can cause discoloration and yellowing of your teeth. Tobacco stains your teeth by changing their natural color and causing them to appear dull or dingy in appearance.
- Foods and Beverages: Some foods and beverages can stain your teeth and leave them looking less than healthy. For example, soda can cause staining on the front surfaces of your teeth.
- Health Conditions: Certain health conditions, such as diabetes, may cause changes in tooth color due to increased levels of bacteria in the mouth, leading to increased plaque formation that causes tooth decay and gum disease (gum recession).
Treatments for Teeth Discoloration
Several treatments for teeth discoloration can help you achieve your desired smile. Some of these include:
Teeth whitening is a popular and effective way to lighten the color of your teeth. This can be done in-office or with home kits that you apply yourself.
- In-Office: Your dentist will apply a whitening gel to your teeth. The whitening gel is then activated by an LED light or laser, which triggers the reaction that causes the teeth to become whiter.
- At-Home Kits: Tooth whitening kits can be purchased at your dentist’s office or over the counter. They typically contain a gel and a tray that fits over your teeth. You apply the whitening gel to your teeth, then insert them into the tray for about an hour.
Veneers and Crowns
Veneers are thin pieces of porcelain that are placed over your teeth. They can be used to cover small chips or cracks in your teeth and also to brighten their color. Veneers are stronger than fillings, so they will last longer. Crowns are caps that fit over the top of a tooth to restore its shape, size, and strength after decay or damage.
Dental bonding is a cosmetic procedure using resin-based material to fill small chips or cracks. The resin is shaped to match the size and shape of your tooth, then hardened with a special light.
The resin is a tooth-colored material that blends in nicely with your natural teeth. It can also be used to create a more prominent smile by whitening or reshaping your teeth.
Our teeth are one of the first things people see when they look at us. They can be a great asset in creating confidence and self-esteem. However, if your smile is less than perfect, it can hugely impact your life. Even if this is the first time you have been concerned about how your teeth look, it is important to maintain them properly so that they are not discolored or damaged beyond repair.
For shining white teeth, only trust Manassas Smiles in treating your discolored teeth and sensitive teeth. We can give you a beautiful smile that will last for years. Schedule an appointment now.