Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures. It can give you a more youthful appearance and a boost of confidence. But, how do you keep your teeth looking their best once they are whitened?
You can do a few things to help keep your teeth looking their whitest.
1. Avoid Staining Foods and Drinks
Staining foods and beverages can cause your teeth to become discolored and challenging to keep clean. Here are some common staining foods and drinks to avoid:
- Coffee: Coffee is one of the biggest culprits in staining teeth. The coffee is dark, and adding milk or cream can create a perfect storm for staining. If you can’t give up your morning cup of joe, try using a straw for drinking it.
- Tea: Like coffee, tea can also be a big stainer. If you’re a tea drinker, opt for herbal teas, which are less likely to cause staining. And again, use a straw to help avoid contact with your teeth.
- Red wine: Red wine is another big stainer. If you enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, try to brush your teeth or rinse your mouth with water afterward.
- Soda: Soda is loaded with sugar and can be very acidic, both of which can damage tooth enamel and lead to staining.
- Berries: Berries are packed with antioxidants, but they can also be big stainers. If you enjoy berries, be sure to brush your teeth afterward.
- Tomato sauce: Tomato sauce is another common stainer. If you can’t give it up, try to eat it with other foods that will help to offset the staining, such as cheese or white bread.
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce is a common ingredient in Asian cuisine, but it can also be a big stainer. If you can’t give it up, try to eat it with other foods that will help to offset the staining, such as rice or noodles.
2. Quit Smoking
Smoking is one of the worst things you can do for your teeth. It causes staining and increases your risk for gum disease and other oral health problems. If you’re a smoker, quitting is the best thing you can do for your teeth and overall health.
3. Brush and Floss Regularly
Brushing and flossing are the best ways to prevent staining and keep your teeth looking their best. Be sure to brush twice a day for two minutes, and floss once daily.
4. Use Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
Whitening toothpaste can help remove surface stains and keep your teeth looking their whitest. Look for a toothpaste that contains hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
5. Visit Your Dental Expert for Checkups and Maintenance
It’s no secret that one of the key ways to maintain your white teeth is by getting regular checkups from your dental expert. While you may be diligent about brushing and flossing your teeth at home, there’s no substitute for professional cleanings and examinations.
Regular check-ups allow your dental care provider to check for any new problems and monitor any existing issues.
Maintaining your white teeth by getting checkups from a dental expert is important. This will help to ensure that your teeth are healthy and free from cavities. Additionally, getting your teeth checked regularly can help identify any potential problems early on, so they can be treated before they become more serious.
If you’re interested in teeth whitening in Manassas, look no further than Manassas Smiles. We offer complete dental care services you’ll need to keep your teeth healthy and looking their best. Schedule an appointment with us today!