Your gums are essential to your overall oral health. You can’t have strong white teeth when your gums are in poor health. Unfortunately, only a few people realize how important it is to care for the gums, too.
Here, our dental experts from Manassas Smiles share the dos and don’ts of gum care. But first, let’s learn about the importance of gum health and some signs of gum disease you should be aware of:
Importance of Gum Health
The health of your gums is vital for several reasons. First, healthy gums provide a barrier to bacteria and other potentially harmful agents in your mouth. Second, gum disease has been linked to several serious health problems, including heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
Signs of Gum Disease
Gum disease or periodontal disease may seem simple but it is a serious condition that could lead to tooth loss and other health problems. It is caused by the build-up of plaque on teeth, which leads to the inflammation of the gums.
There are many different signs of gum disease, and it is crucial to be aware of them so that you can seek treatment as soon as possible. Some of the most typical signs of gum disease include:
- Bleeding gums: This is one of the most common signs of gum disease. If your gums bleed when you brush your teeth or eat hard foods, it is a sign that they are inflamed.
- Swollen gums: Another common sign of gum disease is swollen gums. If your gums feel tender or look red and puffy, it is a sign that they are inflamed.
- Receding gums: If your gums start to pull away from your teeth, it is a sign that the disease is progressing. This can lead to tooth loss if not treated.
- Bad breath: Gum disease can cause bad breath because of the build-up of plaque and bacteria.
- Loose teeth: If your teeth start to become loose, it is a sign that the disease is advanced, and you may need to have them removed.
If you experience one or more of these signs, you must see a dentist as soon as possible. They can diagnose gum disease and start you on a treatment plan.
Left untreated, gum disease could lead to tooth loss and other serious health problems. If you think you have gum disease, see a dentist as soon as possible.
Dos and Don’ts of Gum Care to Remember
Your gums are an important part of your mouth, and taking care of them is essential to maintaining good oral health. Here are some dos and don’ts of gum care to remember:
- Brush your teeth using a soft-bristled toothbrush twice a day.
- Floss daily.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash to help reduce plaque and bacteria.
- See your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and checkups.
- Chew on hard objects such as ice or hard candy, damaging your gums.
- Smoke, which increases your risk for gum disease.
- Use harsh toothpaste or mouthwashes that can irritate your gums.
- Ignore your gums if they are bleeding or look red and swollen, as this could signify gum disease.
By following the tips we shared, you can keep your gums healthy and reduce your risk of gum disease.
It is crucial to take care of your gum health in order to maintain a healthy smile. Some important things to remember are to brush and floss regularly, eat a balanced diet, and see a dental expert near you for regular checkups. Additionally, it is important to avoid smoking and using tobacco products, as these can lead to gum disease.
Manassas Smiles offers reliable dental services in Manassas, Centreville, and other Northern VA communities. Schedule your dental appointment with us today!